Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Guilty Pleasures



So, knowing as you do how much I love Regency Clothes and Manners, let me introduce you to something of a guilty pleasure:

Carriages

I have always thought that if I had lived in the regency era, with a birthday of 1779 instead of 1979, I would be a woman of independence, as I am now. But, instead of driving a car, I believe I would opt for a High Perched Phaeton.

Much like the one a certain Scoundrel drives Miss Marianne around in, except, I would hold the leads. Yes, I would like to drive one. Don't get me wrong, sitting next to a smartly dressed beau would be preferable, but I do enjoy the thrill of being in control.

A Cousin of mine sent me some lovely photos of carriages of all shapes and sizes. I would like to share a few with you, my special favourites indeed.







I can imagine a perfectly matched Pair of Greys prancing perfectly while I cruise down Bond Street with my Tiger holding on for dear life and my ladies maid red with embarrassment. Or instead of a ladies maid as a chaperone, my own dear Mrs. Cunningham and I racing down the street to scandal and renown. :)

As for that, I am at a loss. I have been thinking of this post all day while at work as well as the letter I am going to now write, in the old style, to my mother. This will kick off my month of letter writing. You should try it, you might like it...the letter writing too.

If there is anyone who has a carriage and would be happy to let me give it a go, I can handle 100 horse power, I bet two horse power would be easy.

If you like this blog about guilty pleasures, you may like this one:

Good Night, and Adieu

1 comment:

  1. Old carriages are so cool! My car's license plate frame says: My other car is a barouche. :-)

    ReplyDelete